We here at Ewa Makai take pride in our students, school and our community. In order to provide the best education for your child, we need your child to be in school.
Being in school all day, every day, helps your child get the most out of middle school.
Encourage good attendance with these ideas:
Point out that there is no substitute for being in class. Your youngster needs to be present to hear teachers explain concepts, to participate in group projects and class discussions, and to ask questions.
Schedule appointments (doctor, dentist, etc.) before or after school hours whenever possible. If you can’t, then try to arrange them for lunchtime.
It will be easier for your child to get up for school on-time with at least nine hours of sleep. Set a reasonable bedtime, and make sure electronic devices are put away so there are no temptations to stay awake to read messages or play games.
--Middle Years C12392
The school will only excuse absences when written documentation (a note) is submitted within two (2) days upon the student’s return to school, and absences must be for one of the following reasons:
Medical or dental related issues, injuries, or quarantines (i.e. chicken pox, measles, etc.). A verifiable note from a doctor or dentist is required for five (5) or more consecutive days of absences.
Death in the family
Special cases approved by the principal.
School authorized activities including, but not limited to:
- On-campus activities, such as: appointments with a teacher, counselor or administrator; treatment in the health room, assigned detention or in-school suspension (ISS).
- Off-campus activities approved by the Principal or designee prior to the event or absence
Unexcused absences may include the following situations, which might occur throughout a school day.
- Babysitting siblings or other children.
- Caring for the elderly or family member.
- Entertaining visitors/guests.
- Staying home to care for a family member, clean or perform other domestic duties.
- Family vacations (on/off island), trips*.
- Parent request without explanation.
- Personal business (Youth camps*, competitive sporting events.
*Please Note: Parents must notify the school in writing, ideally before, or as soon as, plans for any extended absences for family vacations, youth camps, and/or competitive sporting events (e.g. Little League World Series, etc.) have been made. The school administration has the discretion to determine whether absences will be excused. The effects on students' learning will be considered.
EMMS Counseling Department